Biotechnology Laboratory Services Manager
1 day left
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Biotechnology Laboratory Services Manager-PLY00388 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Position Purpose & Summary
Cargill's Biotechnology Research and Development Group (BioRD) develops new products and improved processes for the food, feed, and industrial segments of Cargill. The BioRD group is a global R&D team that enables Cargill to fully benefit from advances in enzyme and microbial biotechnology.
The Biotechnology Laboratory Services Manager is a high impact role within Cargill's Biotechnology R&D (BioRD) organization. This position requires strong strategic and people leadership skills. The incumbent will be accountable for overall direction of laboratory services within the global BioRD, including bioanalytical, laboratory automation and LIMS system, provide leadership in assessing needs of BioRD in these areas and making sure those needs are met and coordinated across all BioRD locations. The incumbent will network and understand analytical, laboratory automation and LIMS capabilities within Cargill and leverage other groups. This position will be a part of the Minneapolis BioRD leadership team.
30% - Strategic and Technical Leadership in Bioanalytical and Laboratory Automation: Set the overall direction for bioanalytical and laboratory automation in BioRD globally. Provide leadership in assessing needs of BioRD and making sure those needs are met and coordinated across all BioRD locations. Continuously monitor external developments in analytical field and in laboratory automation in biotechnology in general and proactively identify methods and tools to meet BioRD needs. Effectively work with other analytical teams across Cargill's R&D organization to ensure efficient leveraging of capabilities. Effectively work with Cargill IT to leverage their capabilities.
25% - Lead implementation of laboratory automation across global BioRD in Bioanalytical, Microbial Strain construction and screening and bench scale Fermentation: Provide automation and IT knowledge by serving as advisor or technical contributor in projects. Lead development and implementation of a LIMS system.
20% - Coordinate and unify Bioanalytical across BioRD: Work with Bioanalytical supervisor in Minneapolis and bioanalytical tags in other locations to ensure: quality and accuracy of analytical results, that standard analytical methods and SOP's are fully developed, validated, implemented, and documented. Continuously improve methods and efficiency of bioanalytical function. Work with bioanalytical team, project managers, and business's to identify opportunities where new analytical approaches, methodologies and capabilities could be applied to solve problems and improve project delivery.
20% - People leadership: Provide direct and indirect leadership to a high performing bioanalytical team. Develop and advance skills of analytical staff, including on the job coaching and training, as well as additional formal technical or other work-related training. Empower strong safety culture.
5% - Other duties as assigned
• Minimum Bachelor's Degree in a technical field.
• Minimum of 5 years of hands on experience in laboratory automation, laboratory data management and/or laboratory computational and IT systems
• Minimum of 5 years of strategic and people leadership experience including a demonstrated ability to motivate and deliver exceptional results through people
• Experience in leading creation of a strategic roadmap and execution on it
• Accomplishments that reflect teamwork, integrity and accountability. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced environment and deliver quality results in a complex organization.
• Process mapping and process knowledge
• Knowledge of LIMS systems and experience with automation
• Knowledge of statistical data analysis
• Excellent communication and presentation skills (written, verbal) with ability to effectively communicate at multiple levels within Cargill and external clients or collaborators
• Ability identify areas for improvement, provide recommendations and follow through to completion
• Organized, with focus on attention to detail and accuracy as well as customers' needs
• Ability to manage multiple priorities
• Laboratory instrumentation knowledge, laboratory process knowledge;
• Operating knowledge working together with centralized IT function in a large corporation
• Experience in effectively functioning and leading in a matrix environment
• Working knowledge of chromatography (GC, HPLC, UPLC and multiple detection systems) as well as mass spectrometry and software systems (e.g., Empower)
• Working knowledge of Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry or other biological disciplines
• Demonstrated ability to create business value
• Experience working in a quality control lab, and an understanding of basic quality principles
• Experienced with developing and maintaining positive customer rapport
• Master's or PhD in a technical discipline
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Job Research and Development
Primary Location US-MN-Plymouth
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job
Apply for Biotechnology Laboratory Services Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly