Senior Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer-HOP04100 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
The Senior Software Engineer will work closely with teams to deliver commercial enterprise software for advanced and complex requirements. Candidates for this position are expected to be advanced professionals with broad software development knowledge. This position is responsible for the successful design, development, QA, and documentation for software products with a broad range of complexity. This position requires an experienced resource who can partner effectively with multiple levels of the organization, lead others, drive results, proactively identify and resolve problems, and make challenging decisions.
50% - Development:
• Write high quality testable code that meets defined customer requirements.
• Develop advanced and complex applications according to development standards.
• Performs unit testing when necessary.
• Communicates risks/benefits of development approach when necessary.
• Aligns with technical architecture.
• Analyzes and provides feedback on existing code in order to improve the overall product.
• Contribute and provide support to QA testing.
• Contribute and provide support for BA requirements.
20% - Technical Leadership:
• Lead and mentor less experienced staff and 3rd party resources.
• Provide guidance to software engineers regarding agile best practices.
• Assist in the selection of employees and provide input on future workforce needs.
• Provide ownership and subject matter expertise.
• Lead process improvement initiatives within team.
• Work across functional areas to identify and resolve issues
• Keep up to date on new technologies and techniques and clearly communication recommendations to the team.
20% - Design and Architecture:
• Architect solutions that meet functional requirements.
• Analyzes and clearly communicate Risks/Issues/Benefits on design/architecture in order to improve the overall product.
• Influence architectural direction of product to align with industry best practices while balancing customer needs.
• Contribute to or prepare high and detailed level estimations of effort in order to achieve a preferred solution.
• Provide alternatives in order to provide team with clear options.
• Determine, implement and provide governance for standardized application and development processes.
• Accountable to ensure standards and quality of the solution are achieved.
10% - Provide Support:
• Prepare and execute training of support team
• Provide level 3 production support (incident and change).
• Provide post-implementation support to support team through transition period.
- University degree in Business, IT or equivalent experience
- 5 years software development experience
- 5 years experience in large software development project, working with architecture, analysis, technical design and/or development
- 5 years experience with C# or java
- 1 year of experience working with Relational Databases
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to influence technical solutions
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor software engineers
- Experience setting and implementing architectural standards
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Familiar with standard application software design concepts, practices, and procedures
- Ability to perform duties with nominal direction
- Microsoft Professional certifications
- Experience working on a product that utilized automated tests to validate quality
- Experience working on a commercial software product
- Experience working with SQL Server
- Experience working in an agile setting
Job Information Technology
Primary Location US-MN-Hopkins
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job