Carbohydrate Principal Scientist
Carbohydrate Principal Scientist-PLY00368 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Cargill is a leader in providing various forms of carbohydrates (sugars, syrups, high intensity sweeteners, starches, sugar alcohols, hydrocolloids, fibers, whole grains, etc.) to food, bio-industrial and feed industries.
Within Cargill's efforts of extending its offerings, Ingredient, Material and Science Research Group (IMN) is building up further expertise in the field of carbohydrate chemistry. The successful candidate will be responsible for identifying materials derived from carbohydrates with novel or improved properties, and new carbohydrates with targeted benefits. Thorough know-how and scoping new technologies for upgrading carbohydrate containing streams into valuable ingredients such as fibers, texturizers and stabilizers in targeted applications will also be in your responsibilities. In addition, your job requires assisting in development and execution of strategy in the area of expertise, which includes; overseeing and influencing scientists to accomplish objectives, and managing a research program with multiple projects.
In summary, this job is focused on strengthening Cargill's impact on various carbohydrate based ingredients by leading research activities and actively participating in carbohydrate-related business projects. The candidate for this job must therefore have considerable hands on experience in carbohydrate properties (chemical, physical and functional), and their subsequent processing (separations, enzyme and organic chemistry).
50% Technical Leadership
o You independently conduct highly complex research using traditional and non-traditional data sources to study discovery and development of carbohydrates with new/improved functional benefits.
o You contribute to and lead activities to build capabilities in functionalities in carbohydrates, e.g. from the knowledge of different sources of carbohydrates (including simple sugars, fibers, bulking agents, hydrocolloids and other polysaccharides), chemistry, use of carbohydrates for functionality, health and wellness, and processing technologies ( extraction, fractionation, extrusion, encapsulation).
o Your creativity helps you to formulate new ingredients and ingredient systems to impart unique functional, nutritional and quality characteristics in foods and feeds, and functional and quality characteristics in bioindustrial areas.
o You bring expertise to the project teams working on carbohydrate chemistry and its interactions with other ingredients in food and feed matrices. Your expertise allows you to interpret interactions with other ingredients in product formulations.
20% Connectivity and Collaboration
o You contribute to and/or lead client-driven projects related to carbohydrates with colleagues from research, applications and business technology specialists.
o Develops strong business/customer understanding to ultimately influence/drive and create business opportunities. Anticipates emerging technology needs for Enterprises/Businesses and proposes solutions within the area of carbohydrate and complex carbohydrates focus.
o You build and maintain a knowledge base in the area of expertise, you connect with colleagues in the field within Cargill, within academia and with our customers. You are able and willing to represent Cargill at technical conferences.
o You establish an external network with key players in the domain.
15% IP Leadership
o You lead/contribute to inventions and for intellectual property protection in your area of expertise.
o Provides technical expertise to support Intellectual property and intellectual asset application process and to secure innovation property rights.
15% Project Management
o Assure proper execution of complex, multidisciplinary projects through planning, resource allocation, milestone definition and budget management.
o Develops and documents plan for complex long-term projects, including high level equipment and capabilities required inside and/or outside of Cargill. Identify project success measures. Designs high complex experiments, establishes the trials protocols for a new/complex carbohydrate technology.
o Assure adequate resources are engaged to deliver technical success. Prepare or review detailed technical reports for the project team, the BU client, Internal Applications or PPD teams. May delegate specification documentation to more junior team members.
- You are accountable for project timeline and good laboratory practices, for experimental planning. You report results in written and in oral presentations to cross-functional audiences.
- Travel approximately 15%
- M.Sc. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Chemistry, Food Technology or related fields
- 7 years of Industry experience in carbohydrates
- Deep knowledge in Carbohydrate and Cereal Chemistry and Biochemistry; understanding the underlying mechanism of chemical and biochemical conversion routes, with strong focus on separations, enzymatic and organic chemistry.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and cultivating relationships within a global organization
- Demonstrate excellence in expertise area, work with limited direct supervision and ability to innovate, transform knowledge into value
- Demonstrated leadership skills- integrity, conviction, courage, execution capacity and behaviors knowledge, business acumen
- Demonstrated ability to influence others outside of formal reporting relationships
- Demonstrated collaboration skills
- Effective oral, written, presentation and communication skills in English
- Ability to communicate effectively to different audiences- R&D, businesses, sales and marketing, customers, and consumers
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Chemistry, Food Technology or related fields.
- 10 years of Industry experience in carbohydrates
- Complex carbohydrates experience
- Multi-disciplinary skills: polymer chemistry, carbohydrate physical properties and interactions with other ingredients , Chemical processing and analytical methodology as related to carbohydrates
- Demonstrated good technical writing skills and presentation skills in professional journals and organizations
Job Research and Development
Primary Location US-MN-Plymouth
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job