Research Process Control Engineer
Research Process Control Engineer-PLY00375 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With nearly 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 143,000 employees in 67 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
The incumbent will be a skilled engineer who is enthusiastic about applying process control expertise to improve the efficiency of industrial-scale agri-food processes. The incumbent for this position needs a fundamental knowledge of control systems and plant instrumentation, coupled with broad knowledge of process engineering and plant unit operations, which is applied to improving the performance of production facilities.
The incumbent should have at least 5 years of work experience in a food or chemical manufacturing or process development environment with at least 2 years of experience applying process control techniques to optimize plant assets. The candidate is also expected to contribute towards advancing Cargill's process control capability and apply project management skills for deploying process improvement projects at production facilities globally.
You will be taking an active role in the highly respected Engineering R&D team, based in Minneapolis, USA. The ideal candidate has excellent collaboration and communication skills, broad knowledge about chemical engineering unit operations, and experience in developing advanced process control strategies which will be implemented by plant site automation engineers.
Familiarity with plant data historian software such as OSIsoft PI and experience deploying Lean Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement projects is a plus. Prior experience with in-line process analytical instrumentation technology, familiarity with statistical and multivariate data analysis software such as Minitab/JMP/Umetrics SIMCA and process modeling software is also desired.
The ideal candidate is also self-motivated, creative, and able to collaborate with plant operations and site automation teams to identify new improvement opportunities, develop business cases and deploy process improvement projects. You will also be challenged to work with a variety of different business units and to build and develop strong relationships in order to ensure realization of value for Cargill.
40% - Deploy process control technologies at Cargill sites. Identify new opportunities for process improvement by analyzing production data and developing process control strategies aligned with business objectives. Coordinate process control technology and best practice development with R&D and Plant Operations groups. Validate performance of control strategies and determine value created. Communicate control technology objectives, achievements and payback.
20% - Provide process control and other engineering expertise within Cargill productivity projects related to yield improvement, throughput, down-time reduction, product quality and variable cost reduction.
20% - Interact with subject matter experts in R&D and Plant Operations teams to drive successful implementation of projects and development of new projects.
10% - Provide timely communication to key stakeholders (operations, business leadership, technology, and engineering) on project performance and technology efforts.
10% - Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as required.
- Bacchelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or related engineering degree
- Minimum 2 years of applying process control strategies in a chemical manufacturing environment
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a chemical manufacturing environment or process development environment
- Strong knowledge of process engineering fundamentals and unit operations
- Ability to operate independently and effectively in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to build relationships and apply influencing skills with a diverse array of both technical and non-technical people
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Willingness to travel up to 25% of the time
- Ability to successfully work in a manufacturing environment
- Advanced degree in Chemical or Biochemical Engineering (Master's or PhD)
- Experience in facilitation of Continuous Improvement events such as Kaizen, Six Sigma or Lean processes.
- Experience in chemical process modeling and simulation
- Experience with OSIsoft PI data historian software
- Experience with agri-food/biochemical/fermentation processes
- Previous experience/education with conceptual design and/or optimization of chemical manufacturing processes
- Experience with applied computing (e.g., programming in Fortran, Visual Basic for Applications, or C)
- Demonstrated initiative and business/project management skills
- Fluency in a second language (Spanish, Portuguese, or other)
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Job Research and Development
Primary Location US-MN-Plymouth
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job