1 day left
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Research Engineer-SAI00414 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
As a research engineer, you will perform complex technical research with focus on engineering of new or existing processes and products. You will also serve as a technical engineering resource in support with customer solutions for the Salt and Deicing business units. Research engineers provide guidance to the business units on technical risk, assess competitive technologies, and identify technology-based opportunities for profitable growth and innovations.
- 30% Research technical focus areas, perform data analysis, engineering calculations, create material and energy balances, and scale-up for commercial design.
- 30% Support projects by performing experiments, chemical analysis, or measuring process data on laboratory, bench-top, or pilot plant trials. Build and operate pilot plants that evaluate the technical aspects that are being investigated. Scale of experiments may range from a beaker in the lab to trials run in a full scale manufacturing plant. Work may include evaluation of products, modifications to product, evaluating process feasibility or performing process optimization.
- 20% Develop and supervise tests/research projects to develop new products and processes or improve existing products/processes. Work will be directed by project leaders, operations leaders, technical leaders, or self directed. Work will support capital projects, innovation efforts, plant operations, Quality, strategic growth and acquisitions, Sales/Marketing, Food Applications, Technical Service, or other cross-BU opportunities in Cargill, Inc.
- 10% With collaborative direction from Sales, Marketing or voice-of-the-customer type interaction, provide customer technical support and support research of new product opportunities.
- 5% Utilizing knowledge in technical focus areas to advise business units on technical issues related to new product/process development, business plans, technical risks, technical feasibility, and competitive products or technologies.
- 5% Miscellaneous support with management processes around innovation, project portfolio management, environmental health and safety, and regulatory/laboratory compliance.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering from an accredited university or college or related engineering degree form an accredited university or college
- 2 years in operations or project engineering type experiences and working with a manufacturing plant
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; written and verbal communication skills on both technical and non-technical matters
- Mechanical Aptitude- Familiarity with the use of tools and operating mechanical equipment
- Computer savvy, strong computer software knowledge with programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel/Visual Basic, PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, VISIO, AutoCAD
- Research engineers must be capable to work in manufacturing plant environments and lift 40 lbs (3 gallon pail of wet salt).
- Research engineers must be capable to work in a lab and perform fine motor skill tasks such as measuring exact aliquots of chemicals or titrate with a buret.
- Research engineers must be capable of supporting pilot plant trials, experimental runs, or plant-type operations, which may include extended or unusual shifts (evenings, weekends) when such work is necessary.
- Research engineers support 2 business units and several locations so they need to be able to travel up to 20% of their time.
- Additional Minor or B.S. in Chemistry, with courses in inorganic chemistry
- 2 years experience with research and development or pilot plant operations
- 1 years experience with troubleshooting manufacturing processes or product quality issues
- 1 years experience collaborating with operations, sales or marketing on process or product development
- 1 years experience working in a laboratory, knowledge and skills with wet lab chemistry
- Familiar with project management processes
- Customer service experience or customer-facing experience
- Familiar with intellectual property protocol, intellectual asset management
- Experience with practical process engineering and design, scale-up
- Keen interest towards innovation processes and new technology development
- Environmental, Health, and Safety related training
Job Research and Development
Primary Location US-MI-Saint Clair
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job
Apply for Research Engineer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly