Lawyer - Cargill Legal Group
Lawyer - Cargill Legal Group-WAY05630 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Cargill, Incorporated, is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial, and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, our privately held company employs 150,000 people in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact, and improving the communities in which we live and work.
The person filling this position will provide legal counsel to Cargill, Incorporated, as an in-house commercial lawyer and will be a part of the Cargill Law Department at the Company's headquarters. This lawyer will work closely with Cargill business personnel and with other lawyers and paralegals who provide legal counsel to Cargill around the globe. Principal job responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
40% - Provide legal advice to Cargill businesses on a variety of commercial and regulatory issues (e.g., drafting documentation in connection with transactional matters such as product, supply and distribution agreements, acquisitions and divestitures, joint ventures, real estate/property issues, and other contractual matters; providing regulatory advice on a wide range of issues, including food law issues).
20% - Manage litigation relating to Cargill's businesses on matters such as commercial litigation, product liability, personal injury claims, and government enforcement actions.
20% - Practice preventive law, including providing advice, training, and education in areas such as antitrust law, regulatory compliance, contracting, corporate structuring, as well as assisting Cargill businesses on compliance with various company policies and procedures.
10% - Coordinate and collaborate with other members of the Cargill Law Department to provide legal advice in certain specialized areas such as environmental, employment/labor law, and intellectual property.
10% - Perform miscellaneous projects/duties as assigned.
• Law degree and license to practice law.
• 2 years of legal practice experience.
• Excellent academic record.
• Strong organizational skills, with a demonstrated ability to handle, prioritize, and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
• Experience with commercial law and contract drafting.
• Curious and creative - desire to learn and develop.
• Resilient and flexible approach to solving legal problems, with high tolerance for ambiguity.
• Strong influencing, networking, and change management skills.
• Ability to serve as a strong business partner, build relationships, and engender trust.
• Collaboration with others to promote greater team work and outcomes for clients.
• Proven ability to manage conflict.
• Good judgment and commitment to Cargill's Code of Conduct and Guiding Principle.
• Excellent English language skills required (reading, speaking and writing).
• Ability to travel up to 20%
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
• Experience with food law / regulatory work in food, feed, or bio-industrial space.
• Willingness and ability to contribute to a positive and inclusive working environment.
• Proficiency at gathering facts and applying facts to law.
• Demonstrated courage and willingness to engage in candid conversations.
• Top 25% of law school class.
Primary Location US-MN-Wayzata
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job