Packaging SME Lead
Packaging SME Lead-UNI05089 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Lead packaging operational processes for Salt across 18 facilities and 50 packaging lines including overall performance management, project execution and follow up, and supporting acquisitions or green field expansion projects in the future.
The role will, through experience in modern dry packaging operations and technology, create a vision and strategy for installation of the right operations philosophies, technologies and talent requirements. The role will also create a strong and productive partnership with operations, supply chain, finance, strategic sourcing and others, providing packaging technical thought leadership and leveraging cross functional partnerships to both effectively move projects forward, as well as improve and streamline packaging processes and performance.
The candidate will be sitting out of one of our plant locations.
This role will provide strong leadership and subject matter expertise on:
• Packaging operational philosophies and strategies
• Solving packaging issues as they relate to dent remediation, quality and cost to maintain
• Networking and alignment internally and externally within Cargill including the Salt Operations group, Global Packaging Center of Expertise (COE), Cargill Strategic Sourcing & Procurement (CSSP), Packaging R&D and Supply Chain job family
• Installation and maintenance of Reliability Excellence and Stable Operations principles according to globally installed standard processes and leading practices
• Reduction of manufacturing costs and improvement of defined Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
• Projects, acquisitions, and green-field projects.
•Creating a sustainable culture of packaging innovation across Salt facilities within Cargill
30% Packaging Strategy & Execution
- Develop short term and long term strategies for Salt Packaging in alignment with the commercial, regional and global operational and packaging COE leaders
- Translate long term strategies in project execution via resource planning, defining priorities and CapEx requirements.
- Develop framework Salt packaging processes to reach operational excellence with high standards of safety, food safety and continuous improvement through project execution, select supplier agreements, operational and material specifications to achieve optimal total cost of ownership
60% Packaging Operational Excellence
- Develop build, operate and maintain standards and specifications incorporating continuous improvement processes such as Stable Operations (Stable Ops) principles, 5S, Single-Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED), Bottle Neck Management, Economic Order Quantity (EOQ) and other efficiency efforts to achieve optimal total manufacturing costs
- Provide leadership to monitor packaging technology performance metrics (eg. OEE, line losses, line productivity, etc) and goals to assess effectiveness as well as drive overall business impact
- Lead Salt's best practice packaging team to drive improved and consistent packaging performance to achieve established performance objectives and value capture
10% Packaging COE & Connectivity
- Partners with Cargill Global Packaging COE team members & Cargill Strategic Sourcing & Procurement (CSSP) via meetings, sharepoint interaction, and other connections means to identify packaging technology improvements.
- Partners with Functional Salt Leadership (Engineering, R&D, Operations Managers, Manufacturing Excellence, Safety, Environmental, Food Safety) to implement packaging technology requirements.
- Develops the Packaging team knowledge and talent to ensure packaging continuous improvement efforts are being executed consistenly across locations
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
10 or more years of experience in production and project management environment
5 or more years of experience in a packaging environment
Ability to travel up to 50%
Bachelor's Degree in Manufacturing Engineering
10 or more years of experience as a Supervisor/Manager of Packaging lines and/or processes
Experience managing large capital projects (>$25mm)
Continuous Improvement certifications in Lean or Six Sigma projects or TPM methodologies
Form-Fill-Seal (FFS) packaging experience
Primary Location United States
Other Locations US-OH-Akron, US-CA-Newark, US-MI-Saint Clair, US-UT-Timpie
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job