Director of Consumer Insight
Director of Consumer Insight-WIC03595 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Cargill Protein is a leader at delivering primary processed and value added proteins into the Foodservice, Retail and Manufacturing market channels. It operates several food processing facilities located in the US and Canada. Our customers in Foodservice are comprised of large national restaurant chain operators, contract feeding companies and both national and regional foodservice distributors. Our Retail customers are comprised of primarily large national grocery retailers and warehouse clubs. Our Manufacturing customers are comprised of large branded manufacturers of retail consumer packaged goods. The customers from these channels are attracted to working with Cargill because of our demonstrated leadership in delivering innovative products, integrity, operational excellence, food safety and risk management.
The Cargill Protein Group seeks a consumer insight executive who can apply their strategic thinking, creativity, and ability to deliver results to help advance the organization's short and long-term business objectives via breakthrough consumer insight strategy and execution.
This collaborative, passionate, and competent leader will have many opportunities to display their superior strategic and analytical skills, creativity, and commercial acumen to a diverse set of internal and customer stakeholders.
The Director of Consumer Insight will deliver through a team of three insight managers. The department may grow over time, as it becomes more integrated into the Protein Group's consumer-backed and customer-facing strategies.
This is a dynamic environment offering the right individual the ability to develop new skills and build relationships in a global business. We are seeking a self-starter, a strategic and creative thinker, and an innovator.
The position will lead and manage the development and execution of consumer insight for the Cargill Beef, Turkey, Cooked Meats, Case Ready, Food Distribution, and Value Added Meats-Foodservice businesses that make up the Cargill Protein Group.
The person in this role will be responsible for a variety of initiatives including the development of consumer insight strategies and execution that drives the strategies and initiatives of Marketing, Innovation, Sales, and Business Management. The position is responsible for contractor and insight provider relationships, data analyses, customer engagement, and internal collaboration.
This role is critical in helping the Protein Group understand emerging market, channel, consumer, and customer opportunities, identifying trends, driving an innovative mindset, and supporting the launch of new products, while focusing on our key customers.
- Plays a leadership role in creating and implementing consumer insight plans for key strategic brands, businesses, and customers in sync with the stated objectives and strategies of the business
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by customers. Works with Marketing, Sales, and Business Management to recognize win-win customer opportunities via effective consumer insight analyses
- Applies a substantial understanding of consumer insight practices in providing a wide range of project management and analytical services to deliver analyses and recommendations successfully across a variety of channels and customers
- Using a broad understanding of insight practices, collaborates with and leverages the skills and knowledge of the channel leadership teams - Retail, Foodservice, Protein Ingredients
- Exercises judgment to prioritize customer opportunities in collaboration with other Protein Group business leaders
- Actively engages, cultivates, and manages data supplier relationships to provide the Protein Group a competitive edge
- In partnership with the Protein Group Leadership, develops and executes analyses to support Protein Group strategy (includes consumer segmentation, category and brand portfolio, acquisition, and innovation)
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the consumer insight function, including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Collaboratively develops and implements strategies to support the Protein channel strategies, supporting the growth of the Retail, Foodservice, and Protein Ingredients businesses
- Aligns the consumer insight activity with the Protein Group objectives and strategies
- May participate on global, regional and/or country marketing and customer teams
- Attracts, retains, and develops top insight talent
- Builds a cohesive and effective team, creating opportunities for professional development and advancement for team members
- Partners with senior teammates in developing new insight vehicles. Advises and counsels stakeholders on what tools/data/vehicles should be used to support their needs
This position is posted internally as well as externally
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 12 years of business experience
- At least 10 years of consumer insight experience in the CPG or Perishables space
- Demonstrated people leadership experience
- State of the discipline insight knowledge and skill
- Ability to build sustainable and collaborative relationships with key internal and external team members as well as customer contacts
- Demonstrated ability to identify insight-based business opportunities and elevate existing business to higher levels of performance
- Ability to influence and motivate cross functional teams
- Strong skills in planning and organizing; initiative and follow-up; judgment and problem solving; negotiating
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to travel 20%
- Masters of Business Administration
Primary Location US-KS-Wichita
Other Locations US-MN-Minneapolis
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job