Director of Category Management and Decision Support
Director of Category Management and Decision Support-WIC03589 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Cargill Protein is a leader at delivering primary processed and value added proteins into the Foodservice, Retail and Manufacturing market channels. It operates several food processing facilities located in the US and Canada. Our customers in Foodservice are comprised of large national restaurant chain operators, contract feeding companies and both national and regional foodservice distributors. Our Retail customers are comprised of primarily large national grocery retailers and warehouse clubs. Our Manufacturing customers are comprised of large branded manufacturers of retail consumer packaged goods. The customers from these channels are attracted to working with Cargill because of our demonstrated leadership in delivering innovative products, integrity, operational excellence, food safety and risk management.
The Cargill Protein Group seeks a category management executive who can apply their strategic thinking, creativity, and ability to deliver results to help advance the organization's short and long-term business objectives via breakthrough internal and external category management and marketing analytics strategy and execution.
This collaborative, passionate, and competent leader will have many opportunities to display their superior strategic and analytical skills, creativity, and ability to the diverse needs of internal and customer stakeholders.
The Director of Category Management and Decision Support will deliver through a team of ten capable and proven category management professionals.
This is a dynamic environment offering the right individual the ability to develop new skills and build relationships in a global business. We are seeking a self-starter, a strategic and creative thinker, and an innovator.
The position will lead and manage the development and execution of category management and marketing analytics for the Cargill Beef, Turkey, Cooked Meats, Case Ready, Food Distribution, and Value Added Meats-Foodservice businesses that make up the Cargill Protein Group.
The person in this role will be responsible for a variety of initiatives including the development of category management and marketing analytics strategy internally and with key customers. The position is responsible for contractor and information services relationships, data analyses, customer engagement, and internal collaboration.
This role is critical in helping the Protein Group understand emerging market, channel, consumer, and customer opportunities, identifying trends, driving an innovative mindset, and supporting the launch of new products, while focusing on our key customers.
40% External Focus on Customer Category Management Efforts
- Plays a leadership role in creating and implementing category management plans for key strategic customers in sync with the stated objectives and strategies of the business
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by customers. Works with Marketing, Sales, and Business Management to recognize win-win customer opportunities via effective category management analyses
- Applies a substantial understanding of category management practices in providing a wide range of project management and analytical services to deliver analyses and recommendations successfully across a variety of channels and customers
- Using a broad understanding of analytical practices, collaborates with and leverages the skills and knowledge of the channel leadership teams - Retail, Foodservice, Protein Ingredients
- Exercises judgment to prioritize customer opportunities in collaboration with other Protein Group business leaders
- Actively engages, cultivates, and manages data supplier relationships to provide the Protein Group a competitive edge
40% Internal Analytics and Decision Support
- In partnership with the Protein Group Leadership, develops and executes analyses to support Protein Group strategy (includes customer segmentation, category and brand portfolio, acquisition, and innovation)
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the category management function, including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Collaboratively develops and implements strategies to support the Protein channel strategies, supporting the growth of the Retail, Foodservice, and Protein Ingredients businesses
- Aligns the marketing analytics activity with the Protein Group objectives and strategies
- May participate on global, regional and/or country marketing and customer teams
20% Team Leadership and Process Execution
- Attracts, retains, and develops top category management talent
- Builds a cohesive and effective team, creating opportunities for professional development and advancement for team members
- Reveals and tracks best practice and consistent processes for internal and external marketing analytics for use throughout the Protein Group, leveraging these practices on a day-to-day basis
- Partners with senior teammates in developing new analytics vehicles. Advises and counsels stakeholders on what tools/data/vehicles should be used to support their needs
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 12 years of business experience
- Minimum of 10 years of marketing experience with at least 5 years of category management experience in the CPG or Perishables space
- Demonstrated people leadership experience
- State of the discipline category management knowledge and skill
- Ability to build sustainable and collaborative relationships with key internal and external team members as well as customer contacts
- Demonstrated ability to identify insight-based business opportunities and elevate existing business to higher levels of performance
- Ability to influence and motivate cross functional teams.
- Strong skills in planning and organizing; initiative and follow-up; judgment and problem solving; negotiating
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to travel 25%
- Masters of Business Administration
Primary Location US-KS-Wichita
Other Locations US-MN-Minneapolis
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job