Director, Communication and Reputation Management
Director, Communication and Reputation Management-WIC03590 Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 150,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work. Learn more at www.cargill.com.
Cargill Protein is a leader at delivering primary processed and value added proteins into the Foodservice, Retail and Manufacturing market channels. It operates several food processing facilities located in the US and Canada. Our customers in Foodservice are comprised of large national restaurant chain operators, contract feeding companies and both national and regional foodservice distributors. Our Retail customers are comprised of primarily large national grocery retailers and warehouse clubs. Our Manufacturing customers are comprised of large branded manufacturers of retail consumer packaged goods. The customers from these channels are attracted to working with Cargill because of our demonstrated leadership in delivering innovative products, integrity, operational excellence, food safety and risk management.
Communication executive who can apply their strategic thinking, creativity and ability to deliver results to help advance the organization's short and long-term business objectives via breakthrough internal and external communication.
This collaborative, passionate, and competent leader will have many opportunities to display their superior written and verbal communication skills, creativity, and ability to implement a functional communication strategy and communicate complex information for diverse audiences. The Director of Communication will deliver through a team of three capable and proven communication professionals.
40% Internal Communication Strategy Development, Planning, Execution
- In partnership with the Protein Group Leadership Team, develops and executes the Protein Group communication strategy (includes project plan/timeline, written communication, town hall meetings, website updates, etc.)
- Oversees the day-to-day activities of the communication function including budgeting, planning, and staff development
- Collaboratively develops and implements strategies to communicate the Protein business strategy, functional goals, job family information, and employee engagement efforts.
- Aligns the global Protein communication strategy with Cargill's communication objectives and strategies
- In partnership with Protein Group Leadership Team, supports overall organizational readiness, by aligning the group communication strategy with change and education activities. May execute various change and education activities.
- May participate on global, regional and/or country issues management team to proactively mitigate issues
40% External Communication Strategy Development, Planning, Execution
- Plays a leadership role in creating and implementing an identity campaign for the relatively newly formed Protein Group, targeting consumer, customer, media, and NGO audiences in sync with the stated objectives and strategies of the business
- Identifies challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization. Works with Leadership Team and staff to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Applies a substantial understanding of communication practices in providing a wide range of project management and communication services to deliver communication successfully across a variety of channels.
- Using a broad understanding of communication practices, collaborates with and leverages a global network of communicators and other communications channels
- Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the Protein Group
- Exercises judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed
- Actively engages, cultivates and manages media relationships to ensure quality coverage
- Working with agency partners, secures ongoing earned media placements and tracks coverage, providing regular reports of impressions and publicity value
20% Team Leadership and Process Execution
- Attracts, retains, and develops top communication talent
- Builds a cohesive and effective team, creating opportunities for professional development and advancement for team members
- Executes communications and advocacy efforts for complex issues, initiatives and projects.
- Reveals and tracks best practice and consistent processes for internal and external communication for use throughout the Protein Group, leveraging these practices on a day-to-day basis
- Independently enters updates for complex processes, policies, systems and distribution lists
- Partners with senior teammates in developing new communication vehicles. Advises and counsels stakeholders on what channels/vehicles should be used to support their needs.
This position is posted internally as well as externally
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
- Bachelor's of Arts or Bachelor's of Science Degree
- 10 years of relevant experience in communication or public relations role
- Strong team leader with a proven record of developing talent and delivering results
- A proven track record of success working effectively with executives and strategizing to ensure appropriate messaging for their respective audiences
- Demonstrated experience in Media Relations
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communication, media relations, and marketing programs to advance an organization's mission and goals
- Superior management skills; able to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Solid organizational and project management skills, including extensive cross-functional leadership capabilities and ability to participate on task teams
- Ability to establish metrics and drive improvement through target audience feedback
- Ability to analyze internal data and create reports measuring communication impact
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management and all levels of the organization
- Ability to build cross-functional relationships with senior executives across the function and organization
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
Primary Location US-KS-Wichita
Other Locations US-MN-Minneapolis
Job Type Standard
Shift Day Job